Friday 14 August 2009

Don’t Let your One Mouth Take over your Two Ears

I heard once God made us with two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should listen twice as much as we talk because listening is twice as hard to do well.

The great communicators are always great listeners, and their talk always relates back to what they heard. They do it with equal ease. When I ask a great candidate that magic question, they confidently talk for 30-60 seconds with a concise description of who they are and how that might be relevant to what I’m looking for. Then they check in with me afterward to make sure they answered the question adequately. Then they may even ask me a question.

The interview feels more like a conversation than an interrogation process. It’s a back and forth process just like if you’re talking to your best friend.

I know this sounds like simple stuff. But many people don’t do this, especially when they really want the job. When people desperately want the job, they tend to talk too much. If that’s you, be conscious about that and let your ears do the talking for you.


To Your Success
Dave Dutton - Founder of Dave Dutton

No comments: